At least 20 Indian soldiers killed in the violent face-off with China in Galwan valley in Eastern Ladakh. Casualty numbers could rise, Government Sources said in a statement on June 16.
As per the report, Twenty Indian soldiers including a Colonel were killed in a “violent face-off” on Monday night with Chinese troops at in Ladakh’s Galwan valley, in the most serious escalation at the border in five decades, at a time soldiers of both sides were in the process of disengagement. However, More than 43 Chinese soldiers have been killed or seriously injured, reported news agency ANI.
‘Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area’: Official statement from the Indian Army
- Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15/16 June 2020. 17 Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the standoff location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20.
- Indian Army is firmly committed to protect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation.
Earlier, Army had reported that an Indian Colonel and two soldiers were killed on Monday night in a massive escalation at a time there were efforts to defuse weeks of tension at the border. India retaliated and there were casualties on both sides, said the army. Army sources say the soldiers were not shot but were killed in a physical fight on Indian Territory that involved stones and batons.